Sun, Apr 2
Blue Bottle – Barista
Every day, we create delicious coffee drinks that make people happy.
We’re looking for unabashed coffee and food lovers to join our crew at our Chestnut Hill cafe. The ideal barista is someone who is passionate about coffee, food and creating incredible guest experiences grounded in respect, empathy, and recognition. Don’t have prior coffee, food or service experience? Don’t sweat it; though that helps, it’s not all we’re looking for. We’re more interested in who you are and what you care about. The whole “what” and “how” thing comes later, and with plenty of practice.
- Deliver impeccable hospitality to our guests and your fellow teammates
- Work in a team to ‘dial in’ and serve a selection of delicious coffees in a variety of different brewing methods including but not limited to: espresso, pour over, and cold brew
- Expedite and serve delicious sweet and savory food created by our talented culinary team – this can include assembly, delivery and clearing of these treats
- Stay knowledgeable about Blue Bottle’s current coffee and food offerings through tastings, cuppings and information provided to you by your Lead Barista, Cafe Leader, the Training and Culinary Departments, and others at Blue Bottle
- Drink your and others’ coffee and espresso drinks regularly at Blue Bottle cafes to ensure quality, uphold our standards, and keep developing your coffee palate
- Support your team in keeping the cafe running smoothly and beautifully – these tasks may vary but can include washing dishes, clearing dishes, sweeping, dusting, mopping, cleaning and organizing condiment station, and taking out trash
- Searching for at least 1 year of employment and a nonseasonal opportunity
- Passionate about coffee, food and creating hospitality experiences
- A professional – you are serious about your work but don’t take yourself too seriously
- Reliable and consistent – your manager and teammates can always depend on you to be punctual, looking sharp in accordance with our dress code, and bringing your A game
- Obsessed with the details! You love honing your craft and understand each cup of coffee and each plate of delicious food for its individual potential
- Dedicated to your team and your guests – you understand and value empathy and use it to guide interactions on and off the job
- Eligible to work in the United States and 18 years of age or older
- Existing Food Handler’s Certification or certification within 30 days post-hire for the state you will be working in
- Basic math and computer skills
- A flexible schedule and are available to work weekends
- Our barista position is a dynamic one! Below we’ve mapped out the physical demands that are essential to the role:
- Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time. You’re on your feet the majority of the day, whether you are standing behind bar pulling shots or walking the cafe floor.
- Use of hands to reach, grip, turn and perform precision work. You’re using your hands to operate beautiful espresso machines, pour delicious pour overs, and operate the register (among other responsibilities).
- As needed squat, bend, twist and reach for items below waist level or above shoulders. For example, you may have to bend down or reach up to grab cups, lids and towels.
- Ability to lift, push/pull, carry and/or move up to 50 pounds. For example, you’ll be handling bags of coffee beans, coffee kegs, crates of milk, tub of dishes and trash bins.
- As needed climb ladders, stairs, ramps and uneven floor and/or surfaces. For example, climb on a step stool to change menu slacks, go up and down stairs and ramps to storage areas.
- Ability to smell and taste. You’re tasting and smelling coffee and food, helping ensure quality control for each cup and plate.
- Ability to listen and speak. You’re listening and speaking with our guests to guide and create experiences.
A few benefits we offer:
- $16.25 per hour + an average of $6 per hour or more in tips + an opportunity to also earn an additional $1 an hour if the cafe hits sales every month (paid out quarterly)
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees beginning your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in the hiring process or in the workplace.
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
Blue Bottle requires that all of its team members are fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 14 days after the final dose of a Covid-19 vaccine) by the start of their first day of work, unless they qualify for an accommodation/exemption for medical, disability, or religious reasons.Apply Now