Sat, Mar 9
- This event has passed.
Celebrate Black History Month with our Little Free Libraries
Thu, February 1 - Wed, February 28
February is Black History Month, and we partnered with our friends at Hummingbird Books to stock our Little Free Libraries with books by Black authors that celebrate stories from the Black community. Connect, explore, and learn by picking up a new book, or contributing a new one for our community to enjoy. There are so many beautiful stories told by Black authors, and the below list of books (developed via theconsciouskid’s fantastic book list) is just a starting point. We’ll be restocking our Libraries throughout the month of February and beyond, so be sure to check in every week for a fresh read. And, if you can’t find the book you’re looking for, visit our friends at Hummingbird Books!
Have a book recommendation for our LFL? Drop us a note so we can connect! Our Little Free Libraries can be found outside of Legal Seafoods and Star Market.
Plus, join us in celebration of Black History Month at Hummingbird Books for a community story time in partnership with Story Starters and Newton Community Pride. Local authors Janet Costa Bates and Kaija Langley will read-aloud their picture books, followed by a conversation moderated by Story Starters Director, Ellie Axe.
Here are some of the featured books you can find throughout the month:
- Dream Big, Little One, Vashti Harrison
- Follow Your Dreams, Little One, Vashti Harrison
- The ABCs of Black History, Rio Cortez
- Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History, Vashti Harrison
- Little Legends: Exceptional Men in Black History, Vashti Harrison
- Mae Among the Stars, Roda Ahmed
- Schomburg: The Man Who Built a Library, Carole Boston Weatherford
- Hidden Figures: The True Story of Four Black Women and the Space Race, Margot Lee Shetterly
- Young Gifted and Black: Meet 52 Black Heroes from Past and Present, Jamia Wilson
- Preaching to the Chickens: The Story of Young John Lewis, Jabari Asim
- Tiny Stitches: The Life of Medical Pioneer Vivien Thomas, Gwendolyn Hooks
- Reaching for the Moon: The Autobiography of NASA Mathematician Katherine Johnson, Katherine Johnson
- What Color Is My World?: The Lost History of African-American Inventors, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
- March Forward, Girl: From Young Warrior to Little Rock Nine, Melba Pattillo Beals
- Becoming Kareem: Growing Up On and Off the Court, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
- Althea Gibson: The Story of Tennis’ Fleet-of-Foot Girl, Megan Reid